Tuesday, July 31, 2007

LA Times Reporter Assaulted at Comic-Con

I was walking alone to my hotel after late Saturday night interviews with Neal Adams and Darwyn Cook. I was also talking on my cell to Spencer Weiner, the photographer for The Times shooting Comic-Con. Spencer heard everything that happened next.

I (literally) bumped into a young guy walking with three friends in the Gaslamp Quarter. They were tattooed and wearing the street uniform of baggy pants, white T-shirts and shaved heads. The guy started mad-dogging me, rasping threats. I told him I was just walking by, no offense meant. He got in my face, and I told him it would be stupid for us to make something out of nothing.

"You calling me stupid?" "No, I'm not." Then I stopped talking, because my mouth was bleeding. One of his buddies, standing off to my side, cold-cocked me, and the ring on his fist took a chunk out of my face. I never saw it coming. I was at the emergency room until dawn.

Full Story.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Is all that true? In the article the guy claims that stuff like that is common during Comic Con. I think it's a tad farfetched.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Tim Leong said...

Well technically he said the cops said, "this sort of incident isn't that rare," which doesn't specificly imply that they're referencing Comic-Con, but instead the nature of the assault.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home