Thursday, April 06, 2006

What's the (exclamation) Point?

Here's the results from my exclamation point tally:
In the May issue I found 349 exclamation points. 349. Again, this isn't counting direct quotes, ads, etc. Let's do some number crunching. 349 exclamation points. I counted 128.5 pages of editorial content that issue. That's 2.7 exclamation points per page, NOT including ones found in direct quotes.

I remember reading a piece in the NY Times a few years ago by Elmore Leonard, and I don't think he'd approve:
"Keep your exclamation points under control.
You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose. If you have the knack of playing with exclaimers the way Tom Wolfe does, you can throw them in by the handful."

PS: Mike Thompson, email me your address so I can ship you your prize

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home